Pages

Welcome!

Just a quick note to let you know I've moved my blog to the following address:

http://www.michellebenthamcreates.com

Please visit me at REDEEMED...RESTORED...RELEASED: One Woman's Story of Living Free to read more about what God is doing in my life and how He is working those things to set me free. Thanks so much for following, visiting, reading all about it and supporting me as you have done so many times these last few years. If you follow my other blogs, the posts from all three of my blogs are going to be transferred to the new digs for one big blog about our journey to restoration and freedom in Christ.

Monday, June 2, 2008

A Letter to Brittany


My Dearest Girl,
.
This week marks the final seven days of your high school journey. While I know you have been done with your courses and sleeping everyday since the end of February, I also know what a delightfully daunting time this can be in a young woman's life. I am so proud of you.
.
It seems like only yesterday that I dropped you off for the first day of kindergarten at Frazier Elementary School. You wore a little cream colored denim jumper with red patchwork shirt. Your little round cherub cheeks smiling as we walked up the sidewalk to your classroom. I also remember the uncertain look on your face just before I left. I wanted to scoop you up and take you back home with me.
.
I had been through this before with your brother, but his cavalier behavior left me aching for my baby boy... He had said, "You can go now." You, on the other hand, you seemed to need me, and I so wanted to stay. But sometimes we must forsake our feelings and move ahead no matter how painful it is. We have learned that well these last eighteen years, haven't we?
.
I'm so proud of the woman you are becoming. I say becoming because there are many more lessons to learn as you crest the tide of adulthood over the next few years. I look forward to that growth and those changes. I know you will handle them remarkably well. You are wise beyond your years, Brittany Ann, and I am so blessed to have you for a daughter.
.
You leave me in awe most everyday with your simple ways and strong faith. I could never have faced down the many things you have in these last four years when I was your age. I was a scattered, fragmented mess. You are such a blessing to me.
.
I want to tell you a few of the joys of being your mother. I can think of many so I will try to keep it to just a few:
.
1.) You still come and sit and snuggle in my lap when you don't feel good. Now, granted your nearly 6 foot frame almost topples us out of the recliner and I do complain a little... but inside, I am secretly just jumping for joy.
.
2.) Watching movies at 2 A. M. while eating sopapilla cheesecake right out of the oven.
.
3.) Your love of tradition and SNOWMAN SOUP. Yum, my mouth waters and I long for a cold day just thinking about it.
.
4.) Considering the change in you from little girl to nearly grown... When you were little I fixed your hair for you, now I can't even make a suggestion unless I am sure you will agree. As a little girl you could not wait to play in the snow. Now you raise up from your warm nest on the couch and say, "It looks pretty." (This from a view through the window.)
.
5.) How close we've become over the years. I love that when I cry you just want to hug me and when you cry, I just want to hug you. It is good to be loved and to love back. I love you back.
.
6.) The funny reaction you have to your adorable baby pictures.
.
7.) The things people say about you. WOW!
.
8.) That you never gave up, even when our life was messy, painful and hard.
.
9.) The strength of your faith and the way you stand your ground when someone attacks it. You are quiet and gentle, but strong. A remarkable young woman.
.
10.) Eating snocones.
.
Okay.. so that is all I can think of right now. Oh yeah, and you let me have a grand graduation celebration even though you were not too excited about it at first.
.
Please don't get me wet in the water balloon fight! PLEASE!
.
I can't wait to watch you cross the stage and receive your diploma, sweetie. We are so proud of you! Congratulations.
.
Love,
.
MOM


**COMMENTS ARE CLOSED**